I'm so sorry it's been awhile since my last post. This is due to the casing surrounding my bobbin falling out of my machine WHILE I was using it. Lucky for me it's still under warranty so it was off to the shop where I bought it for fixing.
In the meantime I am now more than a little lost without my machine. I was just really getting into a groove making bags and wallets while still doing some quilting and now.....nothing. There was some admin that needed doing on my sites for Etsy and Facebook but that got boring fast.
Reluctantly I turned to all those small finishing jobs that I sometimes put off at the end of a project. Sewing up the turning openings on bags, finishing off the threads from lines of quilting, organizing scraps and adding labels are just a few of the minor jobs that had been piling up.
So today I finished off a project I've been working on for months and I just have to share!
It began when I started collecting fat quarters of vintage looking floral fabric in shades of cream, pink and brown. I had a vision of a shabby chic vintage looking quilt in mind. I decided on simple squares sewn together to make the center and quilted with diagonal lines across the squares. As I cut I weeded out any fabrics that didn't quite suit once all the fabrics were placed together.
After the center was sewn I took off to the nearest (and only) patchwork shop to look for accenting border fabrics (yes , many people would say "you'll never find anything after the fact). To my delight I found 3! A small scale pink with pin stripes, a brown crackle print, and a lovely cream and pink paisley print. I also found a wide backing cream butterfly print that fit in nicely with the colour scheme.
Now I know that not everyone is a fan of girly colours like pink and floral patterns. I must admit this quilt was totally out of the normal realm of fabrics and prints I would use. But once the borders were attached and I'd basted and quilted the top it was looking pretty beautiful - even if I do say so myself!
It had just the right balance of colour and movement and had a lovely vintage English garden look about it.
Two more months went by before I managed to cut and sew on the binding. And then my pretty, nearly finished quilt sat there for another 2 months. That is, until my sewing machine broke, I got bored with the computer, and finally pulled up my socks and began and finished hand sewing the binding on. I even finally remembered to sew on one of the quilt labels I bought in a patchwork shop in Switzerland in 2008! It was a lovely finishing touch.
Sometimes I feel that today's choices of pre-coordinated, pre-cut fabrics and quilt kits can take some of the specialness out of something handmade. So I'm especially happy to have finished this project knowing that it's the only one of its kind. And while it's nowhere near perfect I feel that just adds to the handmade feel of it. I hope my friend gets as much enjoyment from using it as I have making it!