Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Soups On!

Is it just me or are there sometimes days when you just shouldn't sew?  don't get me wrong, I love sewing and sew pretty much every day.  But, every once in a blue moon I find that I don't really feel like stitching.  I sometimes try regardless but I'm usually slow to start, end up cutting things wrong, make terrible colour choices or even end up throwing the whole project in the bin.

After several of these experiences I've learnt that when I wake up feeling like I don't want to sew.....I shouldn't! Maybe it comes from sewing constantly every day.  I need a break not because I don't love it, but just to clear my head, do something different and then go back at it refreshed.

So, after just one such day recently I decided to skip the sewing and take the time to do something different.  It's mid winter here and after a very food filled Christmas I felt the need for something healthy that would take the chill off.

So we took Rudy here and headed off for a snowy walk in the woods out back. Rudy loves a good long walk!
























Empty wood slat house


Snow laden evergreen branches









On the way back we stopped at the wood pile to grab some firewood.










Then back inside to set the fire crackling happily and begin my soup.....

Honeyed Carrot and Coriander Soup




You will need:
  •  2 medium brown onions (diced)
  •  2 Tbsp olive oil
  •  1 bag of carrots (peeled and chopped)
  •  1 bunch of fresh coriander (chopped)
  •  1 large potato (peeled and chopped)
  •  2 litres of vegetable stock
  •  2 Tbsp honey
  •  salt and pepper
  •  sour cream to serve
Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add onions and cook until soft and opaque.
  2. Add the potato, carrots, and coriander.  Cook for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add stock and two thirds of the chopped coriander. Reserve the remaining coriander for garnish. Bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
  5. Remove from heat and blend with an emersion blender or food processor until there are no chunks of vegetable and the soup is smooth.  *Be careful not to burn yourself with hot soup!                                                                                   ***If the consistency is too thick you can add more stock or some hot water to thin it.
  6. Return the soup to low heat and add the honey.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve:  
  • Ladle soup into bowls and spoon a dollop of sour cream into the middle of each bowl.  Scatter remaining chopped coriander over soup.
  • Note:  You can easily reheat leftover soup on the stove top but keep in mind that once blended it tends to stick and burn to the bottom of the soup pot if left too long.  You may need to add a little extra water to thin the soup when reheating.
  • Serve with some good bread from the bakery or make your own.  I used a lovely olive bread from the store and brushed it with olive oil before lightly grilling it.
The fresh coriander makes this soup and the sour cream provides a nice tangy contrast to the sweetness of the honey and carrots.

Aside from being a delicious and healthy soup for the winter months, if you make sure to use gluten free stock and omit the sour cream, it's also suitable for anyone who has celiac's or is lactose intolerant.

No sewing but a busy day nonetheless.






2 comments: